Fire Department History
Home > City Hall > Fire Department > History
The Victoria Fire Department has a long proud history of serving its citizens. This history dates back to the very
early years of the 20th century. We have documented as much of this history as we have available at this time, through department
records, books, and conversation with retired members. We know that you will find the department history interesting, funny, and
July 7th 1913:
This is documented by the written words on the first page in the official
Victoria Fire Department ledger dated July 7th 1913. On this date a meeting of the
citizens of Victoria was called for the purpose of organizing a Fire Department
and to hold a picnic to raise funds to pay for fire apparatus (chemical engine)
already bought. Mike Notermann was elected to act as chairman for this meeting.
It was noted on to keep a picnic date of July 20th 1913.
The following committees were appointed to manage the picnic, Stands (to be
erected), Cashier (for funds), Advertising Manager, (Bar setup), Confections and
ice cream, Lunch, Amusement's and Police.
The organizing of the Victoria Fire Department was postponed due to picnic preparations until Monday, July 14th 1913.
July 14th 1913:
A meeting was called to order and the following officers were elected to serve until the next regular annual meeting.
Chief Math Grausaum, Asst. Chief Carl Miller, Secretary Ed Plocher and Treasurer Mike Notermann. The Victoria Fire Department
organized with a membership of 18 members. Other topics were to erect the town fire bell on a boxcar at the rear of hardware
store until a new fire building is completed. (As told by past members, this bell was to summons firefighters for a fire
call. And was sounded at the start of each meeting.) A committee was appointed to draft bylaws for the newly formed fire
department. And the secretary was instructed to send invitations for the July 20th picnic to Carver, Chanhassen, Chaska, St Boni
and Waconia Fire Departments.
July 29th 1913:
Special Meeting called to order by Chief Grausaum. An itemized statement of receipts and disbursements of the firemen's picnic
July 20th was read by Secretary. Voted on to pay all picnic bills as read. (As reported in the Carver County Sun Thursday July
30th 1970 newspaper, those in attendance consumed 35 gallons of ice cream and 16 barrels of beer. The dance was attendee by
175 people and $854.45 was raised.)
October 1st 1913:
Meeting called to order by Chief Grausaum. He made a motion made that the new firehouse be put up between Notermann's Store and
Lumber Yard. A motion was made that building committee buy the lot. Motion made that officers look after firehouse building.
February 4th 1914:
Meeting called to order by Chief Grausaum. Bylaws were accepted as read. A motion was made to have the annual meeting of the fire
department be held on the first Wednesday month of each year. A motion was made that the building committee is instructed to buy a
barrel truck, pails, and see that repairs are made in firehouse.
March 4th 1914:
Meeting called to order by Chief Grausaum.
The following are Charter Members of the Victoria Fire Department:
Matt Grausaum, John Diethelm, Joe Wartman, Joe Dill, George Sohns, Alb Litfin, R. W. Egan, Mike Notermann, Frank Notermann,
John Schneider, Jacob Gardner, L. J. Schroers, Ed Plocher,Carl Miller, Tom Nordberg, Emil Seifert, Frank Diethelm Jr.,
Joseph Diethelm, Jenry Deithelm and Frank Salter.
November 11th 1914:
Meeting called to order by Chief Grausaum. Motion made that fire lot trustees have power to buy lot from Joseph Diethelm land
as soon as plot is arranged. Trustees elected are Tom Nordberg, Mike Notermann, and Joseph Diethelm.
March 4th 1915:
Meeting called to order by Chief Grausaum. Motion made that Chief appoint 3 committee members to get estimates on new firehouse.
R. W. Eagan, Joseph Diethelm and Tom Nordberg were appointed on this committee. (It has been told this new firehouse was to replace
the first one built in 1913 between Notermanns Store and Lumber Yard that was destroyed by a fire). May it also be noted that each
member pay their annual dues at the first meeting in January of each year.
April 16th 1915:
Special Meeting called to order by Chief Grausaum. Motion made that we build a firehouse 24' x 40' and the same shall be built in
line with Joseph Walvogel residence.
May 24th 1915:
Special Meeting called to order by Chief Grausaum. Motion made that minutes of last meeting be reconsidered, carried. Motion made that
vote be taken by ballot to decide whether firehouse is to be built in line with Walbogel house or porch? It was 15 to 1 that
firehouse be built in line with porch.
January 15th 1916:
Meeting called to order by Chief Grausaum. Motion made that Jacob Gardner shall receive a salary of $25.00 per year for heating
firehouse. (It has been told by past members this was a woodstove).
March 3rd, 1921:
Meeting was called to order by Chief Grausaum. Carl Miller was elected as Chief for 1921. A note of thanks was given to the retiring
Chief Grausaum for his part in building up this organization.
April 5th, 1921:
Special Meeting called to order by Chief Miller. Suggestion made by Chief Miller as to making cistern for water for fire protection in
the Village were discussed. On motion Chief Miller appointed a committee of Frank Notermann, Joe Dill, Emil Seifert and Bill Braunworth.
Committee to find the cast, size and location of said cistern. (This was the first of six (6) cisterns built for fire protection.
Each property owner in the Village was asses according to their fire insurance premium to pay for cisterns when built.)
April 27th, 1916:
Special meeting was called and a motion was made to sell the current firehouse and lot to the Village of Victoria for not less than
$775.00 and not to exceed $800.00. A bill of sale will be given to the Village.
Meeting called to order by Chief Miller. Elections were held and Frank Schneider was elected Chief 1926.
January 21st, 1929:
Meeting called to order by Chief Schneider. The following committee was appointed by Chief to canvas the neighborhood as to getting
funds to purchase a fire pumping engine. Committee members being Frank Notermann, Carl Miller, Henry Fossum, Bill Braunworth and
January 21st, 1930:
Meeting called to order by Chief Schneider. Motion made and carried that we turn over to Village to pay on Fire Truck. Motion made
that fire department not pay over $300.00 with fire department money for fire truck. Chief Schneider appointed as Engineer's for new
Fire Truck Henry Fossum and Bill Braunworth.
February 28th, 1930:
Special Meeting called to order by Chief Schneider. This meeting was called for the purpose of rearranging the former officers and
for the new Fire Truck which arrived a few days ago. The following men were elected to assist Chief engine men Bill Braunworth and
Henry Fossum on the new fire truck. Ben Wartman, Emil Seifert, Ben Diethilm and Milton Fink. John Diethelm was elected Hose Captain
and selected the following to assist him. Al Steinbarger, T.J. Klein, E. Kirsch, John Kirsch, Ed Diethilm, John Schneider and Reuben
Nordberg. Carl Miller elected Hook and Ladder Captian and selected the following to assist him. J.J. Thul, Florian Tschimperle and
January 16th, 1931:
Meeting called to order by Chief Schneider. Bill Braunworth was elected as chief for 1931.
January 19th, 1934:
Meeting called to order by Chief Braunworth. Henry Fossum was elected as chief for 1934.
March 1st, 1938:
Special meeting called to order by Chief Fossum. A motion was carried that Bill Braunworth, Mike Notermann and Henry Fossum act as
a committee to investigate fire siren.
February 23rd, 1939:
Meeting called to order by Chief Fossum. On roll call 30 members were present. A motion was carried that we pay $338.10 for a siren.
February 13th, 1947:
Meeting was called to order by Chief Fossum. On roll call 50 members were present. Paul Schneider was elected as chief for 1947.
Motion was made that officers consult with the Village Council to purchase a pump trailer.
February 14th, 1949:
Meeting was called to order by Chief Schneider. On roll call 42 members were present. Henry Fossum was elected as chief for 1949.
February 31st, 1950:
Meeting was called to order by Chief Fossum. On roll call 50 members were present. A discussion was had on the construction of the
New #5 Hi-Way. With the possibility of our Fire Hall being moved because of the new Hi-Way. A committee was appointed to meet with
the Council + recommended their location. Maurice Leuthner was elected as chief for 1950.
February 6th, 1951:
Meeting was called to order by Chief Leuthner. On roll call 42 members were present. A discussion was held on the bill presented
by the council for payment by the Fire Department for new Fire Hall. Motion was made for the officers to settle the affair with the
February 3rd, 1953:
Meeting was called to order by Chief Leuthner. On roll call 57 members were present. Leonard Koehnen was elected as Chief for 1953.