City of Victoria Elections
Election for Victoria City Council is held during state and federal election years. The city council consists of five members; the mayor and four council members, who are elected for a 4-year term.
For a city office, any person who meets the following criteria may file to be a candidate.
- Eligible to vote
- Will be 21 years of age upon assuming office
- Will have been a resident of the city for at least 30 days before the general election
- Must have not filed for another office at the upcoming primary or general election
- Pay a $2 filing fee
- Provide an Affidavit of Candidacy (PDF).
The City of Victoria will have three openings for the 2020 elections: mayor and two council member seats. All seats are a four-year term. Candidate filing opens July 28th and runs through August 11th, 2020.
Campaign Financial Reports
An Initial report (PDF) is due within 14 days after receiving contributions or making disbursements of more than $750.
- Subsequent reports are due 10 days before and 30 days after the election and each year by January 31 until a final report is filed.
- A final report is due when all debts are settled and all assets are disposed of in excess of $100.
- A certificate of filing (PDF) shall be submitted to the city clerk no later than seven days after the general or special election (Minnesota Statutes 211A.05, Subdivision 1).
Other Candidate Information
State and Federal Offices
The filing period for United States Senator, United States Representative, State Senator, State Representative, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, Judge of the Minnesota Court of Appeals and Judge of District Court begins at 8 a.m. on Tuesday, May 19 and ends at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, June 2, 2020. Filing for federal offices - Office of the Secretary of State, State Office Building, Room 180, 100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, St. Paul, MN. The place for filing for state offices is with the Office of the Secretary of State or with the Carver County Auditor’s Office, 600 E 4th Street, Chaska, MN.