Neighborhood Organized Garbage Collection
The City of Victoria uses the "open hauling" system for the collection of garbage and recycling hauling. Open hauling allows residents to develop an agreement individually with any garbage hauling company that is licensed by the City. Currently, there are six haulers licensed by the City. The companies and number of licensed haulers can change from time to time. This type of system allows residents to choose their hauler, but it may also cause multiple garbage and recycling trucks servicing the neighborhood throughout the week.
To alleviate the multiple garbage hauler truck traffic, residents who live on the same street, or in the same neighborhood can choose to organize their collection with one hauler. This type of organized collection can have several benefits including:
- Decreased truck traffic;
- Increased traffic safety;
- Decreased noise levels;
- Decreased wear and tear on city streets;
- Decreased potential air pollution;
- And the possibility of a reduced monthly rate by setting up services as a group and the possibility of additional services being offered by the hauler.
How to set up a Neighborhood Organized Garbage/Recycling Collection Program
First, someone from your street, cul-de-sac or neighborhood will need to initiate the effort to start the program. The "organizer" can be a person, a couple of people or a committee. The first task is to define the boundaries of the neighborhood - remember the larger the area the more benefits to all. Use a web based mapping program such as MapQuest or Google Maps, or walk through your neighborhood and create the list. Keep in mind that this program is optional and your neighbors are not required to participate.
A Neighborhood Organized Garbage/Recycling Collection Program Packet (PDF) has been created by the City for you to use as a tool to set up organized collection. Feel free to customize any of the documents to fit the needs of your neighborhood. The packet includes:
- Residents Organized Garbage Collection Survey. This is a letter to your neighbors that also contains a survey to see if they are interested in participating.
- Residents Organized Garbage Collection Survey Results. This form will help you track the survey results of your neighbors.
- City of Victoria 2018 Licensed Garbage Haulers. This is a current list of licensed haulers that you may contact to seek proposals from.
- Contact List. This form will help you keep track of what Garbage Hauler you've contacted and the representatives contact information.
- Sample Proposal Letter. This is a sample proposal letter to send to Garbage Haulers to seek information on their services they provide, costs and other information.
- Summary of Proposals Form. Use this form for input information received from the Garbage Hauler proposals to compare services, pricing and other information to help make a decision on which Garbage Hauler to go with.
3 Providers on 1 street