Become a Firefighter
The City of Victoria Fire Department employs paid-on-call firefighters who are citizens of the community just like you. Firefighters serve the residents and businesses of Victoria and portions of Laketown Township, as well as citizens of all of the neighboring cities on mutual aid calls. Firefighters may respond to emergency medical calls, building or grass fires, traffic accidents, fire alarms, weather-related events, and mutual aid calls from neighboring departments.
The department receives approximately 300 calls for service per year. The department currently has 32 members who respond out of the fire station located at 1500 80th Street, Victoria, MN 55386.
- Paid hourly for all training and for responding to calls
- Members are enrolled in a retirement program managed by the Public Employees Retirement Association
- Advancement opportunities
- Other benefits such as an employee assistance program and identity theft insurance
- Officers receive a quarterly salary
- Discounted membership to the Victoria Recreation Center
- Feel proud by taking part in serving and giving back to your local community
- Learn new skills as you train to use fire equipment most people never get an opportunity to see or use
- Have the satisfaction of helping others in their time of need
- Candidates must be at least 18 years old
- Candidates must have a high school diploma, GED or equivalent
- Candidates must live or work within 10 minutes of the Fire Station
- Candidates must have a valid driver’s license
- Successfully complete an extensive criminal background check
- Successfully complete a psychological examination
- Successfully complete a medical examination
- Successfully complete a physical agility test
- Respond to a minimum of 25% of all call-outs
- Attend a minimum of 70% of all regularly scheduled training sessions which are held most Monday evenings
- Complete an NFPA 1001 course (paid for by the department)
- Complete an Emergency Medical Responder Course (paid for by the department)
Becoming a firefighter is a rewarding experience for those willing to commit to being trained. The application process starts with filling out the application form and returning it to the Fire Department. For every current firefighter, it all started with taking the first step and filling out an application. Please consider also taking this important first step to a rewarding experience.
Annual Hiring Process
The fire department hosts an informational open house each summer. We highly encourage interested parties and their families to attend. At the conclusion of the open house we will begin the application process with the goal of bringing new firefighters aboard in October. Direct question to Andrew Heger, Victoria Fire Chief, at email@example.com.