Victoria Drive (Highway 11) Improvements
Improvements were constructed on a stretch of Victoria Drive (Highway 11) from Marsh Lake Road/Pioneer Trail to the Twin Cities Western Railroad crossing in the summer of 2022. During this time, the area was closed to through traffic starting on July 18, 2022 until October 21, 2022. The area is now open to all traffic.
Due to recent and future development and growth within the City of Victoria and surrounding area, roadway improvements and additional access were needed along Victoria Drive (Highway 11) from south of Marsh Lake Road/Pioneer Trail to the Twin Cities Western Railroad crossing. Construction of these improvements were from July to October of 2022.
Victoria Drive was a two-lane roadway with no pedestrian facilities and a two-way stop at the Marsh Lake Road intersection. The project’s improvements included:
- expansion of the existing roadway to include curb and gutter, storm sewer infrastructure, a center median, and a pedestrian trail
- addition of turn lanes for two access points of the new developments
A full closure was necessary to facilitate construction of the improvements.
Marsh Lake Road / Pioneer Trail Intersection
In addition to the above noted improvements, an intersection control evaluation was completed to identify near- and long-term safety and operations improvements for the Highway 11 and Highway 14 (Pioneer Trail)/Marsh Lake Road intersection. The existing side street stop-controlled intersection experiences:
- Elevated levels of delay for side street approaches entering/crossing Highway 11 during peak conditions
- Elevated crash rate compared to similar intersections across the state
- Elevated crash severity rate when compared to similar intersections across the state
Planned development near the intersection and in the greater region are expected to increase traffic and further degrade safety and operations at the intersection. The City and County applied for funding for a roundabout through the Highway Safety Improvement Program administered by MnDOT. The City will receive official word in January 2023 if the project will be funded. Once the funding is secured, the team will start the project development work and land acquisition which will likely last through most of 2024. The earliest construction of the roundabout may start is in the summer of 2025.
- Final Design: February – March 2022
- Bid & Award a Contractor: March – May 2022
- Road Closure Start Date: July 18, 2022
- Construction: July – Fall 2022
- Open to Traffic: October 21, 2022