Victoria Drive (Highway 11) Improvements
Improvements are planned for a stretch of Victoria Drive (Highway 11) from Marsh Lake Road/Pioneer Trail to the Twin Cities Western Railroad crossing in the summer of 2022. During this time, the area will be closed to through traffic starting on July 18, 2022.
Due to recent and future development and growth within the City of Victoria and surrounding area, roadway improvements and additional access are needed along Victoria Drive (Highway 11) from south of Marsh Lake Road/Pioneer Trail to the Twin Cities Western Railroad crossing. Construction of these improvements will be from July to October of 2022.
Currently, Victoria Drive is a two-lane roadway with no pedestrian facilities and a two-way stop at the Marsh Lake Road intersection. The project’s proposed improvements include:
- expansion of the existing roadway to include curb and gutter, storm sewer infrastructure, a center median, and a pedestrian trail
- addition of turn lanes for two access points of the new developments
A full closure will be necessary to facilitate construction of the improvements. See the Detour Map under Project Documents
Marsh Lake Road / Pioneer Trail Intersection
In addition to the above noted improvements, an intersection control evaluation was completed to identify near- and long-term safety and operations improvements for the Highway 11 and Highway 14 (Pioneer Trail)/Marsh Lake Road intersection. The existing side street stop-controlled intersection experiences:
- Elevated levels of delay for side street approaches entering/crossing Highway 11 during peak conditions
- Elevated crash rate compared to similar intersections across the state
- Elevated crash severity rate when compared to similar intersections across the state
Planned development near the intersection and in the greater region are expected to increase traffic and further degrade safety and operations at the intersection. The City of Victoria and Carver County are applying for federal funds to construct a single-lane roundabout in the coming years. Interim safety enhancements will be reviewed and implemented, as necessary, to improve conditions while funding and other project elements are aligned for implementation of the future roundabout.
Access to Marsh Hollow and Harvest Trail
Access to the Marsh Hollow development and Harvest Trail will be maintained throughout the project. Access to Harvest Trail will be provided from the north, Marsh Lake Road/Pioneer Trail, during Stage 1 of the project and will switch to access from the south, Highway 10, during Stage 2.
Anticipated Project Schedule
- Final Design: February – March 2022
- Bid & Award a Contractor: March – May 2022
- Road Closure Start Date: July 18, 2022
- Construction: July – Fall 2022